Re: isapnp.conf problems

john smith wrote:

> I am trying to revive an old isa pnp modem/soundcard and when I use pnpdump
> to try and configure my modem (not the soundcard yet) I see this error at
> /var/log and during boot-up when my card is being detected.
>
> Board 1 has identity of
> FF FF FF FF 003 054 07 AZT300 serial no-1 [checksum of ]
>
> /etc/isapnp.conf:93- fatal-IO range check attempted while device activated
> /etc/isapnp.conf:93- fatal : error occured executing request '<IORESCHECK>'
> --further action aborted
>
> I tried mucking around with the BIOS (i.e. turning on/off pnp os and
> resources controlled by auto/manual) to no avail.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

I have seen several pnp modems with jumpers that enable you to defeat the pnp
function , so perhaps you should try that route first. If that is not possible
consult  /usr/doc/HOWTO//Plug-and-Play-HOWTO, which covers the subject pretty
well.
Be sure to check your jumper settings for comports. Typical modem settings are
COM2 or COM4(ttyS01 or ttyS03) and IRQ3. Wdoze 9x likes to see modems on COM2 so
use that as your prefered setting. I've seen isa plug and play refered to often
as "plug and pray"- so good luck.
Bernie