Install locks when loading drivers

Title: Install locks when loading drivers

I am trying to install Debian 2.2r2 on my computer.  I am booting from the CD.  everything is going smoothly in the install until I select to download the drivers.  The transfer between the CD and hard drive hangs up.  Both lights remain lit on the CD and hard drive even when the system is rebooting.  I have a 4 yr. old Amptron 8600 A mother board with 64 Mb SDRAM and 233MHz Pentium.  I also have a bargain basement CD-ROM.  Is there any suggestions?  Do you think flashing the BIOS will help?  If I need to upgrade the mother board, what is a good cheap recommendation for an AT type board.  Thanks for the help.

Jay