Can't get php working, please help

Sorry to bother you all with this, but I have simply
spent enough (=to much) time on this (browsing newsgroups and the www).

I cannot get php working with my apache server.
I have tried both php3 and php4, but with no success.

I'am currently running Apache/1.3.9 and php3 on Debian 2.2.

When I run apache -l I get:

Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_perl.c
  mod_macro.c

I have installed apache and php3 using apt-get.  I have also
tried newer versions of apache and php, but none have worked.
I've uncommented Loadmodule ... php ... line in httpd.conf
and .php .php3 etc. are included in the file mime.types

When I try to open a php file in netscape, nothing happens!
(the html is ok, but phpinfo() for example does not work!)

Can someone help? Give me some instructions?

I hoped(thought) that apt-get install would spare med from such troubles.
I've managed to get it to work when I compile from source (using SuSE
linux), but I'd rather use apt-get whenever possible.  That's one of the
main reasons that I wan't to use debian.

Thanks!
Eivind.