XF 4.0.2/testing: won't use new server!

Hmm.  This is baffling me.

So, last week I installed XF 4.0.2, but it was having problems with my
video card (Nvidia).

So, I switched back to the XF 3.3.6 SVGA server, although the rest of my
system is still 4.0.2.

To the best of my recollection, I switched back simply by modifying the
/etc/X11/Xserver file and changing the first line from:

  /usr/bin/X11/XFree86

to:

  /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA

However, now that I have some time and want to investigate further, I
can't make my system run the new server anymore!  I've switched that file
back to the first version but it's still invoking the XF86_SVGA (as both
the debug output and xdpyinfo attest).  In fact, I tried putting a
completely bogus file in there as the first line and it doesn't care; it
ignores it and uses XF86_SVGA.  No errors or messages regarding this are
generated anywhere that I can find.

This is true running both startx from the console _and_ using xdm (gdm
really).

How in the heck do I tell the X system I want to use the new server
again?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools