Re: partition HELP

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> Helping a friend here and she just wacked her active hard drive while
> attempting to partition a second hard drive.
>
> I need a WINDOWS utility to undo what Fdisk.exe just did and restore that
> drive to what it was. drive was not formated afaict, so if a program
> exists to restore that partition data, she will be safe, then we can
> 'safely' partition the 'correct' hard drive for linux ..

Well, chances are that you only erased the partition table.  If so,
writing the very same partition table back, will make all the drives
with the filesystems reappear.

So, if for example you only had one big partition, than recreating that
partition will put everything back in place.  I suggest that you use a
Linux fdisk for that purpose, because then you're sure that it won't
touch anything else except the partition table.  Read the docs for fdisk
though!

If you had more than one partition on that disk, than you will need to
know the exact start and end blocks of the partition.  `fdisk -l` will
print them, so you can save them to a file, but now that you already
lost that information ...

In the Filesystems-HOWTO
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Filesystems-HOWTO.html) there are some
utilities mentioned that will look for filesystem information on the
hard drive and then suggest a partitition table based on these data.  In
particular these are

- Fixdisktable (http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/fat32.html)
- gpart (http://home.pages.de/~michab/gpart/)
- rescuept (part of util-linux?)

They all run under Linux though.  I've tried gpart and it guessed all my
partitions correctly.

Good luck,
Viktor

PS: Once you have your partition table repaired, `fdisk -l` will print
it out, so you can save it on paper.
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/