Re: Fwd: Re: ssh version ?

Vadim Kutsyy(vadim@kutsyy.com)@Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:51:36AM -0500:
> > I was wondering what the deal is with the version of ssh.
> > 1.2.3-9.2 is the latest version shipped with Debian.
> > But the original openssh site says : 2.3.0p1
> > Can someone enlighten me on this?
>
> debian:/usr/local# ssh -V
> SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
> Compiled with SSL (0x0090600f).
>
> I belive 1.2.3 is in stable.  If you want better, upgrade to unstable,
> or at least testing.

Ok tnx but I don't understand why they put 1.2.3 as the latest, and in security updates in the stable version.

They announced on Bugtraq that 1.2.3 fixes the recent key exchange bug but the openssh page says 2.3.0p1 does that.

Why do they go against the versioning of the original tree?
Is there some logical system behind this?

And how can I know that 1.2.3 fixes the bugs that were in pre 2.3.0p1?

tnx :)