Bad errors during upgrade

Debian Testing on i386

Here's the problem...

Preparing to replace debconf 0.5.59 (using debconf_0.5.59_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement debconf ...
Setting up debconf (0.5.59) ...
Use of reserved word "our" is deprecated at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19.
Bareword "our" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19.
Unquoted string "our" may clash with future reserved word at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19.
Array found where operator expected at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19, at end of line
(Do you need to predeclare our?)
Global symbol "@EXPORT" requires explicit package name at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19.
syntax error at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Gettext.pm line 19, near "our @EXPORT"
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line 22.

dpkg: error processing debconf (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
debconf

I get the same error while installing a number of other packages.  I
tried Debconf-Tiny, and it does the same thing.  Rather ruining my day.

Thanks for any suggestions.  Please CC your replies to me.