Re: mke2fs: invalid arg to ext2 library ?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 03:21:24PM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> Invalid argument passed to ext2 library while setting up superblock
>
> --i didn't get any response before, so i'm trying a different
> --subject line. if this is the wrong place to ask, pliz direct
> --me to the right one...
>
> i tried the potato mke2fs on /dev/hda9 hda10 hda11, but only one
> of the three worked -- the other two bombed out with 'Invalid
> argument passed to ext2 library while setting up superblock' ??

I recently had a similar problem. I my case it was /dev/hda4 (on a
10GB IBM), so I'm not sure whether it really has something to do with
your "2-digit" partition numbers...
I fiddled around for a while, then finally gave up -- it was on one of
my machines which I don't use regularly, and I could live without the
partition at that time...

Then, after having seen your initial post yesterday, I thought I might
look into that issue again, and do some low-level debugging.
So I booted the machine, tried the mke2fs again and, to my surprise, it
magically worked right away...

Don't really know, why it worked now, maybe it had to do with the
partition table having been reread (though I did also reboot the machine
the first time), or maybe some hidden bug in mke2fs, like uninitialized
variables or such.
Currently I can't reproduce the problem, so there's no way for me to
find out...

I guess you've probably already tried rebooting, have you?

Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --