From: "Timothy H. Keitt" <Timothy.Keitt@SUNYSB.Edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 5:28 PM
Subject: odd delay with ssh and ipchains

I just configured ipchains on my firewall box to only allow www and ssh
access from outside the local net.  Web access works like a charm, but
when trying to connect with ssh, I get a 5-10 second delay before the
connection completes.  I'm running woody with 2.2.18.  Here's the rule
chain:

keittlab:~# ipchains -L -v
Chain input (policy REJECT: 745901 packets, 315942760 bytes):
pkts bytes target     prot opt    tosa tosx  ifname     mark
outsize  source                destination           ports
 65  5952 ACCEPT     icmp ------ 0xFF 0x00  any
   anywhere             anywhere              any ->   any
6529  326K ACCEPT     all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  lo
   anywhere             anywhere              n/a
3774  377K ACCEPT     all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  eth1
   anywhere             anywhere              n/a
15118 1209K public     all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  eth0
   anywhere             anywhere              n/a
Chain forward (policy REJECT: 0 packets, 0 bytes):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT: 628482 packets, 317229217 bytes):
Chain public (1 references):
pkts bytes target     prot opt    tosa tosx  ifname     mark
outsize  source                destination           ports
1696  131K ACCEPT     tcp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  any
   anywhere             keittlab.bio.sunysb.edu  any ->   ssh
  0     0 ACCEPT     udp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  any
   anywhere             keittlab.bio.sunysb.edu  any ->   ssh
 32  6934 ACCEPT     tcp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  any
   anywhere             keittlab.bio.sunysb.edu  any ->   www

Perhaps this is because I'm matching on interfaces and not net addresses?

T.

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution