Re: fstab for cd-rw

John Griffiths <john@capmon.com> writes:
JG> Ok guys, using the helpful discussions on this list in the past
JG> i've installed my shiny new cd-rw (for office backup purposes, not
JG> MP3's)

(There's absolutely nothing dishonorable IMHO about using a CD-RW to
burn CDs of MP3s.  Carrying around one CD with MP3s on it to listen to
at work is a lot easier than carrying around 14 audio CDs.)

JG> it was on as hd3, now when i run

(/dev/hdc, perhaps?)

JG> # cdrecord -scanbus
JG> i get the following output:

So you recompiled your kernel and are now using the IDE/SCSI emulation
layer?  This probably means your CD-RW is now visible on /dev/scd0,
since it's now pretending to be a SCSI (not IDE) CD-ROM drive.

JG> can anyone tell me what changes i need to make in fstab to be able
JG> to read it?

It's a normal CD-ROM on /dev/scd0, most likely.

JG> any tips on writing to it? (ie example commands)

You should read cdrecord(1) and the CD-Writing-HOWTO.  Both are
probably already installed on your system, the latter in
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell