Re: X hangs

on Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 09:54:55AM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe (avancouw@calpoly.edu) wrote:
> Greetings -
>
>   I set up X 4 recently, and have finally succeeded in making the tdfx drm
> module cooperate with me... It works great, except for one thing: if I leave
> the room for any period of time, say an hour, I can't expect my system to be
> functioning when I come back.
>
>   I can't quite put my finger on the circumstances, but I come back, my
> console is blanked, and my system won't respond.

I'm guessing a bad server, possibly memory problems, though I'd discount
this until I eliminated the server.

Root around for your X server logs (/var/log/XF*, ~/.xsession-errors,
etc.), and see if there's anything suspicious lying around.

>   Even the SysRq key won't do anything. An unRaw, Sync, and Reboot command
> via sysrq do nothing.

How about remote access to the box?  I've found that X *can* (and does)
lock a box hard when it dies.

>   This always seems to happen sometime after the console blanks. I'm running
> xautolock but it wasn't the cause -- i tried turning it off. Anyone have
> an idea of how to circumvent this problem?

Don't do that?  <g>

I'll admit I'd prefer fixing the bug.