Re: Apache Virtual Host

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 06:57:24PM -0800, Leonard Leblanc wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been working on this for a couple of days and can't figure out why it's
> giving me sooo much trouble, but I just can't seem to get a virtual host
> working with apache.  I would like to have a "development" site of
> 'test.domain.com' and just can't seem to figure it out.  It's the same
> computer so I believe (if I got anything out of the many many docs i've
> read) it's called 'named-virtual hosting'.
>
> I am using Apache 1.3.9 with Debian 2.2.16.
>
> Any thoughts, sample configs (httpd.conf, etc.) or anything else would be
> helpful

aside from the /etc/apache/httpd.conf directives such as

	NameVirtualHost ip.number.goes.here
	<VirtualHost ip.number.goes.here>
		ServerAdmin webmaster@your.domain.name
		DocumentRoot /var/www
		ServerName www.canonical.domain.name
		ServerAlias ftp.domain.name secret.domain.name others.are.possible
		ServerAlias other.ips.possibly.here 127.0.0.1
		ServerAlias localhost
		# yada yada
	</VirtualHost>

you'll actually need DOMAIN NAMES to point to your ip, as well.
settings in /etc/bind/* will get you there from within your local
network, or if you're talking about a publicly-available internet
site, you'll need your DNS (which might be you yourself) to have
domain name records pointing to your ip as well so anyone from
poughkeepsie to perth to paris can use that name to reach your
server.

for example, you can browse any of these to reach our servers:

	mail.dontUthink.com
	ftp.serensoft.com
	www.serensoft.com
	serensoft.com
	puz.serensoft.com
	ftp.bucks2browse.com

they're all set up to point to 208.33.90.85, and apache looks at the
request 'Host:' header to see which virtual host to apply to the
request will never reach your apache, and it'll never do you any
good....

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/