Re: domain setup & email/DSL

Glenn Becker wrote:
> i'm at such a low level with this stuff that i am unclear on what DNS
> hosting 'really is.' :-)  sometimes i don't know how i do anything ...

LOL - it's OK - we were all there once.

Basically a DNS server converts 'machinename.domainname.tld' into an ip
address.  They're basically an intermediary between the computer (that
only wants to deal with ips) and you (who probably finds it easier to
remember www.atomcam.com than an ip address).  Now - someone is hosting
your DNS services for atomcam.com - from the whois database, I get the
following:

[ rest of whois query snipped for brevity ]

 Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.WARPED.NET               207.126.104.14
   NS2.WARPED.NET               209.249.126.8
   NS3.WARPED.NET               208.62.64.130
   NS4.WARPED.NET               209.249.76.200

So it looks like Warped.net is doing your DNS hosting, as well as the
web hosting you mentioned earlier.  So, they're the ones you'd want to
get in contact with about adding the 'A' record for your new machine =)
Depending on their policies, they may or may not charge you for this -
you'll have to check with them on that.

> and i also find myself wondering about the apache setup i currently have
> running (mostly for the sake of future experimentation - i haven't done
> anything with it yet)... under the setup you describe, would it have a
> non-numeric address for the outside world? it couldn't be www.atomcam.com
> because that's the wife's site!

The short answer is yes.  The long answer is that once your machine has
an 'A' record associated with its ip address, anything that currently
works by ip (like web/ftp/telnet/ssh/etc...) will work with the name
you've given it in the 'A' record (what you tell the machine itself it's
hostname is really doesn't matter, except locally).  So, if you have
them set up an 'A' record for 'debian.atomcam.com', then when you put
http://debian.atomcam.com into your web browser, it should try to
connect to apache on your machine =)  The same goes for other services
like ftp or telnet.

> typing in the numeric ip or localhost gets me to the default page fine, of
> course. maybe i need to read up on DNS ... :-S

Not a bad idea - although the documention can get a bit confusing, so be
forewarned =)

-b3