Re: pppd problem with 2.4.1

David Wright wrote:

Quoting Tom George (georgeacct@spininternet.com):

I am a little nervous about this - I really want to use some of the
features of 2.4 but why should I have to obtain packages from the
unstable distribution for a stable kernel distribution?

     ========                    ------

I thought that an even number in the second place (the 4 in 2.4.1) indicated a stable version and an odd number indicated a development

              ------                                       -----------

version. In any case dlkern -s (from www.ChaosReigns.com) is supposed to download the latest stable version

                         ------

This discussion will bog down unless you define your terms.

Only the term underlined with === is a Debian term. The terms underlined
with --- are linux kernel terms. There's no connection.

As was the case when Debian's stable was slink, and 2.2 kernels became
stable after 2.0, you had to upgrade certain parts of your Debian stable
distribution to get slink to run with 2.2 kernels (notably netbase).

2.4 kernels missed the boat for getting into the current stable=potato,
so you're going to have to do the same sort of thing. Debian will not
add new packages to its stable distribution just so that it works with
a kernel that happens to be called "stable": this would destroy
Debian's notion of a stable distribution.

Cheers,

Thanks for the clarification. I did not appreciate these distinctions. Now that I do I can manage my upgrades more carefully.