Re: pppd problem with 2.4.1

Hall Stevenson wrote:

Before compiling the 2.4.1 kernel I used apt-get dist-upgrade  to
install all the available upgrades in the stable distribution,.  I

then

checked against the list in changes and found that I still had only
modutils 2.3.11-13.1.  I used apt-get install modutils to get version
2.4.1-2.   Still dpkg -l shows that I still have only ppp 2.3.11-1.4.

will try getting ppp 2.4.0 from the unstable distribution.

I am a little nervous about this - I really want to use some of the
features of 2.4 but why should I have to obtain packages from the
unstable distribution for a stable kernel distribution?

If it's any consolation, I'm running Debian's "unstable" version and
it's pretty damn stable for me !! ;-) Course, I don't really push it
like some people may.

Is kernel 2.4 in "stable" now ?? I just checked
http://packages.debian.org and it does *not* appear to be... it's still
in "unstable". Note though, it has a 99% quality rating. Should be
pretty safe to use. ;-)

Also, why would the package ppp-2.3.11-1.4 be listed in "stable", but
have a quality of 1% ??

Regards
Hall Stevenson

I thought that an even number in the second place (the 4 in 2.4.1) indicated a stable version and an odd number indicated a development version. In any case dlkern -s (from www.ChaosReigns.com) is supposed to download the latest stable version