Re: Memory Problems on Compaq Prosignia w/Potato

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 01:33:17PM -0500, Ian Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just recently installed Potato on a Compaq Prosignia 300
> Server with 64M of RAM.  Checking free, however, shows only
> 13M.  The Bios reports the correct amount on startup, and the
> previous OS (NT) also had no problems with the memory.  I tried
> adding an append="mem=64M" line to Lilo.conf, but that has not
> helped.  I thought that the kernel was supposed to autodetect up to
> 64M anyway.  Should I just do a clean reinstall, or does anyone
> have an idea of how to fix this?

The append line should work.  Just to make sure did you run lilo after
making the changes in /etc/lilo.conf?  That is the only thing I can
think of.  What does dmesg or /proc/meminfo say in terms of memory?
Maybe there is some possibility of "free" not reporting correctly?
hth,
kent