Networking, /etc/network/interfaces, mapping, iface, and multiple configurations

Question regarding use of /etc/network/interfaces to allow autmajick
detection and configuration of eth0 on a laptop that wanders widely.

What I'd like is for the beast to configure itself to:

  - Standalone operation
  - Static assignment (home)
  - Other arbitrary static assignment (TBD)
  - DHCP (various)

...but I can't quite get the swing of it.

What's really blowing it for me is trying to figure out what the
'script' part of the networking configuration does.  What I'd like are
some pointers to some solid docs on this, /usr/share/doc/ifupdown
examples don't quite do the trick.

Thanks.