Re: Setting Reply-To: using exim?

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry [shaleh@valinux.com] wrote:
> enable /etc/email-address use.  I use this so that mail from
> shaleh@mymachine.whereiam.foo becomes shaleh@whatIwant.com.

I could do this, but I have been told in the past that this is bad.
Let me explain what I was told.  If my secondary isp thinks of me as
"markphillips@cheapisp.com.au", but the email address I want to use is
"mark@infoeng.flinders.edu.au" then as you say I could rewrite
addresses so that markphillips@cheapisp.com.au becomes
mark@infoeng.flinders.edu.au.  But then my machine is lying.  It
pretends to be sending from infoeng.flinders.edu.au when really it is
sending from cheapisp.com.au.  Apparently the smtp transaction envelop
will still show the email as originating from cheapisp.com.au.  And
apparently some mailservers don't like this discrepancy.  If the
envelope sender is different from the headers sender then it rejects
the email, causing it to bounce.  And this bouncing has even more
problems.  It bounces it back to the envelope sender domain.  So
cheapist.com.au gets the bounced message, but they don't know what to
do with it, because the "From:" address is one they don't recognise.

All in all, it is a bad idea --- so I'm told.  The _correct_ solution,
I was told, is to tell the truth about the "From:" address, ie keep it
as markphillips@cheapist.com.au, but to set the "Reply-To:" field to
mark@infoeng.flinders.edu.au.

So this is what I want to do, except I don't know how to do it.  I
could perhaps figure out how to do it in individual MUAs but I'd
prefer a system wide, MUA independent, approach.

Anyone know how to do it?

Thanks,

Mark.

--