Re: Please Help: cut-n-paste problem while using hpterm on Debian 2.2 (kernel 2.4.1)

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 06:40:30PM +0000, Sumit Sarkar wrote:
> This is 2nd time I am posting this message.
>
> sumit
>
> >Hi There!,
> >
> >This is my first time in this mailing list. I am having cut-n-paste
> >problem while using 'hpterm' on Debian 2.2 potato and kernel is:
> >	"2.4.1 #2 SMP Thu Feb 1 16:22:58 PST 2001 i686"

with "using 'hpterm' on Debian" you mean running the hpterm on the
HP-UX box and directing the display to your Debian box - do you?

> >The problem is like this:
> >
> >I am displaying 'hpterm' from a HP-UX 11.00 box in my Linux box.
> >I am using the following parameters while using 'hpterm':
> >
> >+mb -sb -sl 5000 -ls -display <>
> >
> >First few minutes cut-n-paste will work, after that mouse will NOT
> >be able to highlight (cut) and paste. I have tried 'mb', didn't help.

I just tried to reproduce your problem, but everything seems to working
fine over here... That doesn't mean too much, however (we might be
using different versions of whatever is involved).

I'm afraid that this is not going to be easy to solve, but at least you
may be able to narrow down things a little. Basically, the problem may
be caused on either side of the X connection:

(a) your debian-side X server may no longer send the appropriate X
    events (at the time cut-n-paste stops working), or

(b) the X client (the hpterm on the HP-UX box) may not process the
    events properly

To further clarify which side is responsible, you'd have to intercept
the connection from the hpterm to your X server, and take a closer look
at the X protocol messages to see whether the events in question are
still being sent.

I could give you a simple Perl script that more or less does just this.
It dumps the names of all X protocol requests and events being
exchanged into a file (in human-readable form). From this you can get
a rough understanding of what's going on. There may be other tools out
there for debugging X sessions, but for the purpose at hand the script
will probably do fine...

Email me privately if you are interested -- this is slightly off-topic
anyway (except that it turns out to be a Debian-specific X server
problem), so I think we shouldn't bother the list with all the details.

> >It is very difficult to live without cut-n-paste. I tried using
> >'xterm', but that doesn't have 'smooth scrolling'. in 'xterm'
> >and 'dtterm' cut-n-paste always work. I don't like the appearance
> >of 'dtterm'.
> >
> >My libc version is : libc-2.1.3.so and ncurses version is 5.0-6.0.

the debian-side ncurses certainly is not involved, the libc might be
involved indirectly (via the X server using some functions of it), but
what would probably be more interesting is the version of the X server
you are running :)

HTH,
Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --