legal to use libapache-mod-ssl in USA??

I asked this a week or so ago, but it was a day that the mailing list was
having trouble, so I wonder if many people received it. So, I'm asking
again. My apologies to those who got it the first time.

Is it legal to use mod-ssl (or apache-ssl) in the US for commercial
purposes? I've seen some conflicting documentation on the matter (and it
seems like I heard laws changed regarding this recently as well???). Also,
is using mod-ssl or apache-ssl as secure as one of the secure commercial
apache solutions (e.g. Stronghold)? And lastly, from what I've seen, most
people seem to prefer mod-ssl over apache-ssl. I'm interested in
preferences and opinions on this as well.

Thanks,

Gerry