Re: XFree86-4.0 screen resolution missmatched with monitor viewing area

Quoting John Foster (jfoster@augustmail.com):
> I recently upgraded to a full woody/testing installation. After a few
> hours of reading & experimenting with "xf86configure"  I got the new
> XFree86 4.0  server to work well. I still have 1 problem. The
> resolutions that are accepted on my monitor are "640x480" "800x600"
> "1024x768" "1280x1024" 24bpp . When the server runs XF86Config-4; it
> automatically loads the lower resolution first. I then have to manually
> (CTRL+ALT +/-) change the resolutions. The problem is that when I select
> the one I want...the virtual screen/desktop is diffetent that the actual
> edge of the monitor. In fact none of these modes match the screen. In
> the past I have been able to correct this by selecting the startup
> default with XF86Setup and using only that resolution. That does not
> seem to work with "xf86config" or "XFree86 -configure" & xf86cfg
> completely craps out. I think there is an option called viewport that
> nees to be set, but the docs do not cover it well enough to try it. Any
> Suggestions. It would be really cool to be able to switch screen
> resolutions & have them all fit the actual 13.7" viewable area. I have
> all of the monitor specs and the video card specs as well.

I suspect that for most people this is a breeze. I just use the
monitor controls to put the picture where I want it for each
resolution. The monitor remembers each setting because it's in
a different mode (i.e. it recognises the scan frequencies and
fishes out the correct settings from an internal table).

With old-fashioned monitors that can't do that, I set the controls
using my preferred resolution, then switch to the other one (this
would be just 800x600 to 640x480) and use xvidtune to scale the
new picture. Then I copy the modeline from xvidtune into the
XF86Config file at the appropriate place. (Thank goodness I no
longer use those old monitors for X).

The only problem is: I don't know how XFree86 4 does modelines.
It may be different from 3.

Cheers,