RE:XFree86-4.0 screen resolution missmatched with monitor viewing area

I recently upgraded to a full woody/testing installation. After a few
hours of reading & experimenting with "xf86configure"  I got the new
XFree86 4.0  server to work well. I still have 1 problem. The
resolutions that are accepted on my monitor are "640x480" "800x600"
"1024x768" "1280x1024" 24bpp . When the server runs XF86Config-4; it
automatically loads the lower resolution first. I then have to manually
(CTRL+ALT +/-) change the resolutions. The problem is that when I select
the one I want...the virtual screen/desktop is diffetent that the actual
edge of the monitor. In fact none of these modes match the screen. In
the past I have been able to correct this by selecting the startup
default with XF86Setup and using only that resolution. That does not
seem to work with "xf86config" or "XFree86 -configure" & xf86cfg
completely craps out. I think there is an option called viewport that
nees to be set, but the docs do not cover it well enough to try it. Any
Suggestions. It would be really cool to be able to switch screen
resolutions & have them all fit the actual 13.7" viewable area. I have
all of the monitor specs and the video card specs as well.
Thanks!
--

John Foster