Re: downloading the GNU/LINUX Operating System.

> upward wrote:
>
> Greetings!
>
> I am interested in the above system. However, there are few hurdles I
> need to get over to download it. If someone could help me with the
> following questions that would be terrific.......
>
> To provide some context, I have no programming experience (have just
> started learning HTML) and really don't know much about the technical
> side of things. That being said I have a Toshiba Satellite (laptop)
> and am keen to to get a greater understanding of the above operating
> system. (I have done a enough surfing to realise that my Windows 98
> system is simply not good enough in terms of security and efficiency,
> compared to UNIX based systems.)
>
> I am also intending on studying to become a Webmaster over the next
> couple of years. This has been a prime motivator to get greater
> understanding about UNIX type operating systems.........Enough
> context, now the questions:
>
> 1. Can I still run the Windows 98 with the GNU/LINUX  operating
> system?

  yes, you can dual boot - partition the system so that you have at
least one windows partition, one swap (generally twice as large as
amount of RAM) and at least one another (for linux itself)

> 2. Are there any tutorials that you can recommend that relate to the
> above system?

  there are quite a few laptop how-tos on the net, just search google
for linux laptoptoshiba satellite... lot of them use other distros as
examples but you can load any other distro, you'll just have to read
which drivers and what settings they used. lot of toshiba satelites un
linux. start with www.linuxdoc.org is you can't find anything with
google.

> 3. Where and how do I download the GNU/LINUX operating system?

  go to www.debian.org, you can download the system there.

	erik