re: downloading the GNU/LINUX Operating System.

Greetings!

I am interested in the above system. However, there are few hurdles I need to get over to download it. If someone could help me with the following questions that would be terrific.......

To provide some context, I have no programming experience (have just started learning HTML) and really don't know much about the technical side of things. That being said I have a Toshiba Satellite (laptop) and am keen to to get a greater understanding of the above operating system. (I have done a enough surfing to realise that my Windows 98 system is simply not good enough in terms of security and efficiency, compared to UNIX based systems.)

I am also intending on studying to become a Webmaster over the next couple of years. This has been a prime motivator to get greater understanding about UNIX type operating systems.........Enough context, now the questions:

1. Can I still run the Windows 98 with the GNU/LINUX  operating system?

2. Are there any tutorials that you can recommend that relate to the above system?

3. Where and how do I download the GNU/LINUX operating system?

I look forward to your feedback.

Regards

Rod Upward