Re: SSH won't accept logins without password

"Jonathan D. Proulx" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why have ssh (a security feature) and accounts with null passwords!

Good point, actually.  However, this is a local user account on a
network that is masqueraded by a firewall.  I don't have to be afraid,
that the box can be remotely accessed, because the firewall prohibits
inbound connections and would have to be cracked first.  (No, I do not
have passwordless accounts on the firewall.)  I don't have to be afraid,
that anybody on the local net will try to break in, because it's only my
roommates, whom I trust with my stuff on the computer.

The reason, this account has no password is so I can login on the
console (or through xdm) without typing one.  I know this is lazy, but
it doesn't really constitute a security risk either.

Now, if you can show me a way (possibly through PAM) that will take my
local account password during login (either on the console, through
xdm/kdm, or remote) and take it as the passphrase to unlock my ssh
identity and pass it to ssh-agent, that would be truly great.  I am
however not aware of a PAM module that connects to ssh-agent, and I
can't think of any other way.

I still have to type in my passphrase, and typing two passwords at login
is too much stress.

Cheers, Viktor

PS: Yes, laziness is definatelly the biggest threat to security.  Oh
well.
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/