Re: portmap: which package??

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 22:47, Frank Preut wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> 	could someone please tell me where i can find portmap, that is,
> which package contains it (i can't find a package named portmap)?? as much
> as i can see i don't need it, and i would like to get rid of it (if that
> is stupid for some reason, please correct me, i'm not an expert..)
> because the whole rpc stuff seems to be rather risky and superfluous on
> my setup..
>
> so what is the name of that package??

>From my potato firewall box:

$ dpkg -S portmap
netbase: /sbin/portmap
netbase: /usr/share/doc/netbase/portmapper.txt.gz
netbase: /etc/init.d/portmap
netbase: /usr/share/man/man8/portmap.8.gz

You sure as hell don't want to remove netbase.

What I did was to use update-rc.d(8) to remove the symlinks (and kept a
copy of what it did in case I needed to put them back--see below), and
then stopped the /etc/init.d/portmap script and moved it to a safe place
(again, in case I wanted to put it back).

$ cat portmap.links
   /etc/rc0.d/S10portmap
   /etc/rc6.d/S10portmap
   /etc/rcS.d/S41portmap

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\