Re: Old news : Opera Free 4 Linux

On 05 Feb 2001, Colin Watson wrote:
> Joris Lambrecht <jlambrec@landis.be> wrote:
> >Free Browser Coming for Linux and Mac Posted by amrdog @ 2:02 Post Comment
> >(0)
> >The Netscape-Microsoft Browser Wars are no longer at their peak, but that
> >doesn't mean that the browser market is at a stand-still. There are many
> >other browser alternatives out there for users of all platforms. The most
> >popular of these alternatives is Opera, a small, quick web browser published
> >in Norway. On Thursday, according to ZDNet, Opera will become free for Linux
> >and Mac platforms. You can get more information here, and also check out
> >Opera's homepage for details about the browser.
>
> (Where was the link?)
>
> IIRC, Opera is now free-as-in-beer, but it's still not free in the DFSG
> sense, which is a great shame; it would be great if it could go into
> Debian.
>
> Perhaps it could be distributed by Debian in non-free, though. I might
> have a look at its licence.
>
> I've been using Konqueror at work for a week or so now after Netscape
> somehow started crashing my machine hard. I must say that it's a very
> nice browser, and much faster than Mozilla. You don't need to be running
> KDE either, which is good for me as I'm a GNOME/sawfish type.

Do you need gnome, or will it work with any window manager, e.g. icewm
(in my case)?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian (Windows-free zone)
Over 100 book reviews: http://www.cix.co.uk/~acampbell/bookreviews/

"The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the
palpably absurd. It is the chief occupation of mankind." - H.L. Mencken