Question about php3+GD

Hi,
I am a novice of php. When I call the function of imagecreatefromgif
or imagecreatefrompng, I get "Fatal error: Call to unsupported or
undefined function imagecreatefromgif()(or imagecreatefrompng()).
Maybe function imagecreatefromgif was removed due to a patent problem
for GIF in version 3.0.16. But how about the function imagecreatefrompng()?
Should I add something in php3.ini? TNX.
The following packages were installed in my potato box,
ii  php3           3.0.16-2potato A server-side, HTML-embedded scripting langu
ii  php3-cgi       3.0.16-2potato A server-side, HTML-embedded scripting langu
ii  php3-doc       3.0.16-2potato Documentation for PHP3
ii  php3-gd        3.0.16-2potato GD (graphic creation) module for PHP3 (apach
ii  php3-mysql     3.0.16-2potato Mysql module for PHP3 (apache)

Regards,

--Wen
wen@japan.email.ne.jp