Re: Passwords, Shadow Password and Samba Passwords

A few month ago I had the same problem, and a lot of people here solved
all my doubts... there are the abstract of the 'Samba Passwords Amazing
History':

Situation:

	1. Samba allows the use of PAM (aka shadow passwords if you
	  configure it) and authentification through smbpasswd.
	2. Win98 by default, only allows encripted authentification
	3. Encripted authentification only can be done under samba using
	  smbpasswd, 'cos the encription mechanism is diferent between
	  Windows and Un*xes, and samba uses the same mechanism as Windows
	  in his smbpasswd file.

Solution:

	1. You can add users using the command smbpasswd, that creates the
	  smbpasswd file, and then use the option 'encrypt passwords = yes'
	  into the smb.conf file.

	2. You can disable the encripted authentification from Win98
	  updating a parameter into Windows Registry (into Samba.org's ftp
	  you can found a Win98_PlainPassword.reg file that does it), and
	  then selecting the 'encrypt passwords = no' option. Before it
	  the samba daemon will use the PAM system to authentificate
	  users, as any other service. This option sends the passwords in
	  plain text, but the mechanism from Windows isn't secure, 'cos
	  you send a hashed password that is the same every time...

Well, If you have any problem I can send you more detailed instructions
off-the-list, and I can send you the registry file.

Bye, and Good Luck!