Passwords, Shadow Password and Samba Passwords

I am trying to set up Samba to share a printer on my network. I am using Potato 2.2r2.

I can see the Linux computer from Win98 but cannot enter the required password. I notice from /var/log/samba that there is a problem with no /etc/samba/smbpasswd entry for user 'default'. There is no /etc/samba/smbpasswd and this was an option from sambaconfig.

I have read that the problem may be that Samba is not complied for shadow passwords? I believe I chose these when originally installing potato. I do not know how to create /etc/samba/smbpasswd. The command smbpasswd reports an error on any password for any user. Even the user 'default' that I created. It does create an /etc/samba/smbpasswd but with just a header comment that does not show the requuired format.

Any clues to where I am going wrong?

Paul Clark