Re: sound card is off line

Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> I installed the helix gnome package from the helixcode
> site as an upgrade to the gnome package that came with
> debian potato.  I won't say that it has exactly broken
> things, but things have gotten weird.  In particular
> my sound card no longer works, launching XMMS or
> Realplayer gives the error message that the sound card
> is not available or in use.  How do I fix this?  If I
> have to how do I downgrade back to the gnome setup
> from potato?  But can I keep the newer version of
> sawfish?

Try disabling esound (in a shell use the command "esdctl off") before launching
XMMS. If this solves the problem, look in the XMMS options and toggle the output
plugin to use the esound daemon.

For the second question, i don't know if there is a better solution, anyway you
should remove (or purge) every helix (now ximiam?) package by hand and reinstall
the original potato version.

Andrea