Re: Stupid Question...keymappings?

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, John Travis wrote:

> I recently helped a friend resurrect an old machine with Debian :-).
> There is one little thing that annoyed me, and will annoy him, the more
> he learns.  The keymappings that I am used to don't always seem to
> work.  For instance with a 'man man,' I couldn't use the vi(m) like
> keybindings for movement.  Return was the only way to scroll down, and
> backspace wouldn't even scroll up.  And if I did a search, it wouldn't
> highlight the results.  If I searched for anything it couldn't find it
> just dropped me back to the shell.  Certain things, like the backspace
> not scrolling up, happen in other apps like slrn.  I vaguely remember
> this when I first set up my box running Sid.  But very early on in my
> apting/configuring it "automagically" went away.  I have run into this
> again with my Progeny setup.  Other than these problems, the
> keymappings are working fine.  I'm just not sure which package, or
> config I need to play with 8^).  Any help or where I can RTFM greatly
> appreciated.

just a thought, but do you have 'less' installed?

I think man uses 'more' if 'less' isn't available and hence you can't
scroll up, etc.

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au