Stupid Question...keymappings?

I recently helped a friend resurrect an old machine with Debian :-).
There is one little thing that annoyed me, and will annoy him, the more
he learns.  The keymappings that I am used to don't always seem to
work.  For instance with a 'man man,' I couldn't use the vi(m) like
keybindings for movement.  Return was the only way to scroll down, and
backspace wouldn't even scroll up.  And if I did a search, it wouldn't
highlight the results.  If I searched for anything it couldn't find it
just dropped me back to the shell.  Certain things, like the backspace
not scrolling up, happen in other apps like slrn.  I vaguely remember
this when I first set up my box running Sid.  But very early on in my
apting/configuring it "automagically" went away.  I have run into this
again with my Progeny setup.  Other than these problems, the
keymappings are working fine.  I'm just not sure which package, or
config I need to play with 8^).  Any help or where I can RTFM greatly
appreciated.

TIA,

jt

PS	Does anyone else have any problems with Kmail/Knode not threading
properly?  I would like to say it is only with my ISP (road runner),
but I don't get enough traffic any other place to be sure.  But knode
seems to thread perfectly on other news servers.