Re: make problems

On Thu, 01 Feb 2001, jdls@apu.edu wrote:

>> I had a similar problem with compiling mod_dav from source (this is
>> using debian "testing"). For some reason, ld couldn't find libdb,
>> even though it was available in /lib/ (or /usr/lib, I can't
>> remember) and ldconfig was finding it ok. My solution was to
>> replace -ldb with -ldb1 in the Makefile. You don't actually have to
>> replace the -ldb, you just have to make sure -ldb1 is there
>> somewhere.
>>
>> I think I got libdb1 from the "libdb1" package.
>>
>> --
>
> hi,
>
> How do I replace the -ldb with ldb1 in the Makefile? or how do I
> make *sure* that -lbd1 is there *somewhere* so that gnome_dialup
> will compile correctly... I really like that gnome_dialup.. I've had
> that since *potato* was still unstable :(

Try installing libdb2-dev (though I don't know if that's in potato).
Usually when you are having trouble compiling something because of a
missing library, you can be sure that the package that you need to
install begins with "lib" and ends with "-dev".  I don't know how a
new user would know about the "db2" part.  You know that you need
"db", so you do a search for libdb in apt-cache, I guess.  It's a
shame that apt-cache doesn't do regex searches.

Incidentally, libdb1 depends on libc5, so you probably don't want it.
If libdb2-dev isn't in potato, you might just need libc6-dev.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Got jag?  http://www.tribsoft.com