Re: how to stop gdm?

Remove gdm and task-helix-gnome.  Task-helix-gnome is an empty package that
is dependent on the helix-gnome packages; installing task-helix-gnome forces
the helix-gnome packages to be installed to satisfy the dependencies.
Removing any one of the task installed packages forces the removal of the
task package itself, but does not affect any of the other packages.

pbb