Re: Still No Cursor in X

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> I'm not sure whether this has been tried yet....
> When I upgraded to X4.0.2, I did lose the cursor (it was moving but
> invisible). Turned out the xserver was not upgraded, so it was still using
> the xserver-svga 3.3.6, instead of using xserver-xfree86.
> Once that was installed, cursor came back.
> Andrei

Couldn't this be the real thing?

AFAIK, a simple apt-get dist upgrade dos not install the new X-server.
You will have to do an explicit
	'apt-get install your-required-x-server'

To check the version of your server is a little tricky - mostly because
you don't tell us your video card or x-server that you use and we don't
even know, whether you've got X3 or X4. (Folks with X4: i don't know
this yet, please interfere when i tell rubbish)

But let's try: In a terminal, your console for instance, enter  'XF86_'
Then, don't hit return yet, hit TAB twice. The first  time it may just
beep, the second time you get a short list of programs in your path
that start with XF86_. One of them is your X-Server ;-)

IF you know which one you should use, give enough characters to
distinguish from the other names. You may at every time try to hit TAB
again, it will then complete as much as is unambigous. That command is
completed (the whole name of the program in question on the command
line, your cursor behind it)? Ok, type a space and '-showconfig'. Now
hit return. The first line of output reads 'XFree86 Version 3.3.6' with
my server - i don't have X4 installed - and you now know why ;-)

If you don't know your server, you may try 'X -showconfig'.

Now, tell us about the ouput and which debian version you are using.
When you upgrade over the net with apt-get, mail your
'/etc/apt/sources.list' file. Otherwise the CD you try to install from
or anything, just to give us any hint - please ;-)

So much for today

martin