Re: Cannot get iptables to work in 2.4.1 and compiling question.

To quote "seg" <seg@vl.videotron.ca>,
# Hi,
#
#  I get the error "command not found" when I type "iptables". I know I
compiled every "net" option in the kernel (choosed y).  What am I doing
wrong? Not much to go on, I know....

You need to get the "iptables" package as well; the 'iptables' command
doesn't come with the kernel.

#  Also what does "make modules" do, does it create an image like "make
bzImage"? I have 2 comps running linux at home: a 1Ghz t-bird and a
p166. Compiling on the p166 is painfully long. I would like to compile
everything on the 1Ghz and then transfer the bzImage and the "modules
image" (if there is one, following make modules) to the p166 and make
modules_install there. Is that possible? Or would I need to make dep on
both comps, make bzImage on the 1ghz, transfer the image and make
modlues and make modules_install on the p166?

You have to be sure the kernel you compile is compiled for you target
computer(ie: in 'make xconfig' or whatever you use, CPU Type is set to
"Pentium").

Aside from that, make modules_install copies all the modules to
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>. So if you copy that directory over to
your target computer, that should work(assuming it's compiled properly
for the target CPU).

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)