getting aliases in mutt

This (from mutt's manual) doesn't work for me:

In addition, at the various address prompts, you can use the tab character to expand a partial alias to the full alias. If there are multiple matches, mutt
will bring up a menu with the matching aliases. In order to be presented with the full list of aliases, you must hit tab with out a partial alias, such as at
the beginning of the prompt or after a comma denoting multiple addresses.

In the alias menu, you can select as many aliases as you want with the select-entry key (default: RET), and use the exit key (default: q) to return to the
address prompt.

How do I get this? I do have an alias file and aliases work if I write them manualy...

--
Daniel de los Reyes