Kapps not threading properly?

I have this strange problem with Knode and Kmail.  Neither one threads
properly.  The threads are broken and scattered.  But this only happens with
my ISP (Road Runner).  If I use a different news/mail server everything works
correctly.  Unfortunately I *need* the services from my provider, and this
problem makes these apps pretty much unusable.  Usenet and mailing lists
aren't much fun when things don't thread correctly ;-).  Any advice greatly
appreciated.

TIA,

jt

PS  I do know I could use other apps.  I usually just use slrn for news, but
I would like to get this sorted out nontheless :-).  And other apps like
tin/slrn/pan/sylpheed/mutt etc. do thread correctly...wierd stuff.