Re: Linux Partitions

on Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 02:46:06PM -0600, ktb (x.y.f@home.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 01:42:12PM -0800, Leonard Leblanc wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I am going to be running a Linux box as Firewall/DNS/WWW/FTP/POP and maybe some other network applications.  I was wondering what your suggestions would be for Partitions.  I have already ready the Partition HOWTO, but still aren't quite sure what partitions would be best for my applications.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Karsten has put together a mini-FAQ at -
> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

Thanks for the plug.  I'm going to update that with the partitioning for
my laptop (one 20G drive rather than three 2G's) for a divergent
viewpoint.

Note that despite comments by others that it's overkill, I *did* in fact
give var roughly 1 GB of space, currently 41% utilized as follows:

    1  292200  cache
    2  51108   log
    3  41353   lib
    4  5399    state
    5  207     spool
    6  86      run
    7  32      backups
    8  8       mail
    9  4       www
    10  1       tmp
    11  0       lock
    12  0 local

...with the bulk of that being apt.  Package downloads *can* consume the
better part of a GB of themselves.