Re: Firewall

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 11:44:29AM -0500, eileen@orbell.com wrote:
> I have some questions about building a firewall.  I currently have a cable
> modem connection which of course gives me a static IP address.  If I was to
> build a firewall using a old 486 could I still assign my Debian box the
> static IP address as it is needed for my server which I use for
> hosting.  Or would the 486 use the static IP and assign the Debian box a
> private IP address?  Also I know there are many firewall how to's out there
> but would appreciate any recommendations.

if you're using debian for your firewall:

	apt-get install ipmasq

here's the setup:

	+----------+ ] eth0 = your.ip.number --> internet
	|  debian  |
	| firewall |
	+----------+ ] eth1 = 192.168.1.1    --> +-----+
	                                     --> |     |
	               box1 = 192.168.1.39   --> | hub |
	                                     --> |     |
				   boxn = 192.168.1.215  --> +-----+

edit /etc/network/interfaces to mirror your configuration:

	# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

	# The loopback interface
	iface lo inet loopback

	iface eth1 inet static
		address 192.168.1.1
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 192.168.1.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255
		# other localnet addrs can be anything in
		# the 192.168.1.[2-254] range

	# if your address isn't static, do this:
	#	iface eth0 inet dhcp
	iface eth0 inet static
		address YOUR.REAL.IP.NUMBER
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network YOUR.REAL.IP.0
		broadcast YOUR.REAL.IP.255
		gateway YOUR.UPSTREAM.NET.NUMBER
		# for me, it's my cablemodem number
		# which is only 1 different from my
		# debian/internet address. yours might
		# just be your ISP server addr...

and then just

	ipmasq -v

to implement it.

i think. :) if this reformats your hard drive, gives your
neightbors shingles, or straightens out the earth's axis,
don't use it.

--
See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/