Re: Firewall

> modem connection which of course gives me a static IP address.  If I was to
> build a firewall using a old 486 could I still assign my Debian box the
> static IP address as it is needed for my server which I use for
> hosting.  Or would the 486 use the static IP and assign the Debian box a
> private IP address?  Also I know there are many firewall how to's out there
> but would appreciate any recommendations.

You may assign real IPs to firewall and to your server. Of course, you will
need to different IPs. The more secure way is to assign private IP to your
server and implement masquerading. Of course, it will take more efforts to
tune :)

I use at home firewall with real IP at 486 (well, it's FreeBSD-based, but it
doesn't matter) and 192.168.1.0 net for all my home network.

--
Alexey Vyskubov
(at home)