No Cursor In X in Two Months - Maybe I quit

Can anyone help????
My cursor is not working.  Sometimes I have a one square inch white cursor and some times I don't.  Note the confi files below for gpm.conf and XF86Config.  At the recommendation of someone I commetted out the lines in XF86Config and got the big cursor.   But then it went away when I re-entered X.  I am currently using a newly acquired PS/2 generic mouse plugged into the PS/2 port.  My previous and preferred mouse that would not work is a Kensington 4 button track ball (Expert Mouse).  Does any one have conf files for the Kensington Expert Mouse????
I like the Debian approach but I've been at this for two months.

 Below is the conf I
currently have that worked thanks to you.  Note the lines that I commetted
out.  Thanks!  John.  Here is my present config:  Any suggestions on where I
go from here??
gpm.conf:
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=ps2
append=""
------------
XF86Config Pointer section:
Section     "Pointer"
Protocol    "PS/2"
Device      "/dev/gpmdata"
#   BaudRate    1200
#   Emulate3Timeout    50
#   Resolution           100
#   Buttons           3       this line was commeted out before
#   Emulate3Buttons
EndSection