how to get a list of updated packages after "apt-get update"

Howdy,

how can I check which packages are new after doing a "apt-get update"?
I don't want to upgrade all packages I just want to know whether a
certain number of packages can be upgraded.  I don't want to run dselect
either since this will starting selecting lots of stuff automaticaly
and I will end up with a big mess afterwards too.
Where does apt-get keep track of the packages after a "apt-get update"?

Nico

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com