Re: Sound

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 06:23:39PM -0500, T. Green wrote:
> newbie to debian
> I have ensoniq audio PCI  model (ES1371) sound card, An  I can't get it
> to make a sound.
> Anyone know what  is needed to get the card to produce sound.
> Tkank you

Assuming that you are running the kernel as installed from Potato cd's
you need to create an /etc/modutils/sndconfig file that contains:

alias sound-slot-0 es1371
options sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330

Then run 'update-modules' which should fix /etc/modules.conf painlessly.
Sound should then work.

Actually if you have the program sndconfig (I think only in Woody and Sid)
that is supposed to do all this for you but it never has worked for me up to
yesterdays upgrades to both of them. Thats not true  of the Mandrake 7
version.

You may have to do a kernel recompile if it is not the standard issue but as
i recall it has all the modules in creation already set.

HTH