Re: Lots of problems: libc6, RAM not recognised etc.

Kyle Parfrey wrote:

> 1) RAM not recognised.
> I have 256mb of ram, but only 64mb are being recognised. I have a MEM=256M
> line in lilo.conf (this worked in mandrake) but it isn't working here. How
> can I get it all to be seen??
what is the exact line in lilo.conf ? should read:
append="mem=256M"
(im not sure if it is case sensitive but make it lower case just incase)

be sure to run /sbin/lilo after making changes to lilo.conf otherwise
the
changes will not take affect(and of course a reboot is required)

> 2) Libc6 (& liblcms & libmng)
> I have installed kde2 , but to do this I needed to install libc6 2.2...

you don't need glibc 2.2 for kde2, get the potato kde2 debs from
kde.tdyc.com

> instead of 2.1.3.... . I think it broke my compiler (well it doesn't work)
> and when I tried to install libc6-dev it said it needed the older version,
> but liblcms and libmng need the newer one. I don't know how to get out of
> this, or to get gcc working for that matter. Have already reinstalled gcc.
> Configure scripts say I am missing 'makeinfo'.

if you tried to install glibc 2.2 ..i don't know how to help ya here
chances are a lot of things broke. depending on what is going on
i may just reinstall if it was my machine.

> 3) Sound n printer
> Any tools in debian to set up sound or printer? Otherwise I'm off to manpages
> and the wonderful world of emacs..

sound depends on soundcard, i usually compile my kernel and include the
driver
with the kernel(assuming you have a compadible soundcard) or you can
look
at alsa (there are debian packages not sure how old they are compared to
what is available at www.alsa-project.org, i think thats the right
website),
or there is OSS if you want to spend some cash and not have to worry
about configuration(www.oss.com) i have found it useful for certain
cards. OSS
like anything else does have it's fair share of problems though to be
fair.

printer.. you want to probably look at the apsfilter or magicfilter
packages
(apt-cache show apsfilter ..same for magicfilter) to configure the
printer.
i am by nomeans an expert on configuring printers in linux though so my
help for this must end at reccomending reading th docs for the package
you choose to go with :)

good luck.

nate

--