mysql uninstall

Hi people
I have messed up my grant table on mysql and can't fix it. I am basically getting
access denied  on all users including root. I have only junk databases and tables
To sort out this problem I have decided to start from scratch by this i mean to
completely remove all traces of mysql ( i hope this will include the grant table)
and then reinstall so that I can reset .
Could somebody tell me what files I need to manually remove after having
run apt-get remove mysql-server mysql-client
so that when I reinstall I get a clean sheet to work with. I have tried to
get responses from the mysql mailing list but it seems the debian system is
too different for people to help me specifically
Many Thanks in advance
jm

-
John-Mark