Re: /dev/ttyS* permissions

Quoting Neil Youngman (n.youngman@ntlworld.com):

> > In my experience the only time pppd fails to restore the serial port
> > permissions these days is when it gets a 'kill -9' or is otherwise
> > prevented from cleaning up.
>
> I've never used kill -9 on it. I use wvdial and exit with ^C.

Predictable (see "pppd changes permission to /dev/ttyS1 (my modem)"
thread from September).

Your problem is wvdial. That's probably why you're worrying about
the permissions in the first place (wvdial seems to need g+w to
get started again). Why not try pppconfig and pon/poff instead.
That way, pppd will just do the Right Thing.

Cheers,