Re: debian install

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, EuphoriaDJ wrote:

> I have been using gnu/linux for about four years and have used several
> dist's but I finally found out that apt
> is the packager I have been wanting and that it finds what you need when you
> want to install something.
> Perfect "NOW THAT IS A PACKAGE MANAGER!!!!!!"
>
> So should I go back to Corel which I got rid of because I did not see the
> advantage to learning another packager, OR
> should I try debian both have software I like and deb will most likily to be
> able to upgrade to X 4.0 and 2.4 kernel
> heck deb is using a beta kernel in it's stable release and from what I have
> stable is STABLE.
>
> Anywho, Corel or Debian?
Well, I choose Debian. From what I have heard from Corel is that it is
easy to set up and work with, but somewhat closed in manually configuring
and maintaining the system.

> will I have to use fdisk if I go to debian? corel partitions on it's own.
Not if you are going to replace Corel (and Corel uses ext2).

> If I use fdisk I will be erasing a BeOS partition to put linux on but I
> don't know for sure if this will mess up the
> MBR like winblows does any info would be cool.
Well, during install LILO will be installed, so you can boot up Debian. If
you alter the lilo.conf after installation to your needs, everything
should work fine.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan