PyORBit vs. ORBit-Python

  Hello people,

  This message concerns Python users, and in particular users of the
python-orbit package.

  The python-orbit package currently contains the PyOrbit module, that
is a Python binding for ORBit, the CORBA ORB used e.g. by GNOME.
PyORBit development seems to be somewhat dead.

  On the other hand, there is ORBit-Python, another module with the
same goals.  This one is more advanced, and is still actively
developed upstream.  I do have an interest in ORBit-Python (I am part
of upstream and I use it for work).

  So, what I suggest is this: having successfully gone through the new
maintainer process, I'd like to take over the package, and replace its
contents (PyOrbit) by ORBit-Python.  PyOrbit is version 0.0.2,
ORBit-Python is 0.1.3 (+ CVS changes), so there should be no problem.

  Consequently, I'm looking for comments.  Are there PyOrbit users out
there?  Are there any people depending on it being PyOrbit and not
ORBit-Python?

  If noone raises their hand, I'll probably upload a new python-orbit
package in a few days.

  Please answer on debian-python@lists.debian.org, as I think it's the
appropriate list.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Luck, like a Russian car, generally only works if you push it.
  -- Regalian, in My Hero (Tom Holt)